Sunday, August 16, 2015

Fact Fluency Freebie

If you've been teaching 5th grade for a long time, you know how frustrating it can be to teach math when your students aren't fluent in their facts.   How can you teach kids to add fractions with different denominators if they don't know their basic multiples?  Suddenly, finding a common denominator is a very time consuming process.

Recently, I attended a math training where the presenter said that students shouldn't be memorizing facts.  I've heard that at a lot of trainings lately. Frankly, it scares me.  There is a misconception that the Common Core discourages memorization.  That isn't the case.  If people start to believe this misconception, math is going to be so much harder for upper grade teachers to teach.

I recently updated a FREE Common Core Math Fluency Posters set.  These posters can be useful in having discussion with kids, parents and other teachers about grade level expectations.  These fact fluencies can be the basis of intervention.  If you start your year determining which students haven't met goals for previous years, you can catch them up before they fall even further behind.

Here are a couple of the FREE posters included in the packet:
FREE Common Core Fact Fluency Posters





Stop by my blog by clicking on the picture below to read about why Memorize is NOT a Bad Word and for some links to resources that you may find helpful.

Memorize is NOT a Bad Word


from

Surfing to Success

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you that Memorize is NOT a bad word! It is so incredibly frustrating when students get to my class and aren't fluent in their multiplication facts. I spent lots of time remediating with them when we should be moving on! I am glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way!

    Jamie
    Life As I Know It

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!