Monday, December 29, 2014

Calendar Math...in the Upper Grades??

One of the BEST things I have done in my 5th grade classroom has been to implement Calendar Math.  I know what you are thinking.....isn't that something they do in primary grades?   Well, when I started teaching, yes.  It was pretty much exclusively for primary grades.  But, after seeing what it could do for the little kids, I was bound and determined to bring it to my upper grade classroom.
Students can review grade level standards on a daily basis with Calendar Math in 5th Grade

Now, if you follow my blog, you know that I am a HUGE proponent of Calendar Math.  In fact, I have written about it on my blog more than any other single subject.  I just feel like it is the one thing that has saved my math instruction, and kept my kids on top of the testing score scales.

With Calendar Math, kids never forget the basic skills since they are constantly being reviewed.So what exactly is Calendar Math?  Basically, I take all of the major standards that the kids need to learn throughout the year, and put them on to one sheet of paper.  The kids manipulate the numbers, practicing the skills they need on a daily basis, with all of the numbers revolving around the calendar date.  Each day the skills stay the same, with the numbers changing.

This constant review (that we go over daily together) takes about 15 minutes per day (though it does take a bit longer in the beginning to get it going).  This 15 minutes is the most productive 15 minutes of our whole day.  Really.  It is SUCH a good use of time, that we never miss. 

Would you like to try Calendar Math in your classroom?  Here is the recording sheet that I use with my students.   Here is the routine sheet that I wrote out too....so that you can know what to do with it all!

Want to know more about Calendar Math?  Come over to my blog to read even more in detail and pick up even more Calendar Math resources

5th grade blogger Stephanie from Teaching in Room 6

http://teachinginroom6.blogspot.com/#uds-search-results

1 comment:

We love comments!